Slow-Cooker German Potato Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
This vinegary German-style potato salad recipe is a lighter alternative to typical mayonnaise-based potato salad. And, instead of boiling, the potatoes are simmered in the slow cooker. This healthy slow-cooker potato salad recipe tastes great when served warm or at room temperature. Fingerling potatoes make it especially pretty, but any type of yellow-flesh potato cut into 1-inch pieces will work.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (or quartered, if large)
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool, reserving the drippings. Crumble the cooled bacon and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Off the heat, add vinegar to the pan. When it stops steaming, scrape up any browned bits. Whisk mustard and flour in a small bowl; add the vinegar mixture and whisk until combined. Whisk in salt and pepper.
- Combine potatoes, celery, onion and the dressing in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir until the vegetables are well coated. Cover and cook on Low for 5 hours.
- To serve, stir in dill and the bacon.
Per serving: 91 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 172 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- May/June 2014