Slow-Cooker Chicken Pho
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Chicken Pho, a classic Vietnamese soup, is a perfect recipe for a slow cooker. The chicken and seasonings of star anise, cloves and ginger simmer all day in the crock pot, welcoming you home with an alluring aroma. Serve with the essential garnishes for pho soup—fresh herbs, bean sprouts, chiles and lime—and let everyone top their own. Serve chile-garlic sauce for those who want more heat.
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (two 32-ounce boxes)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 10 whole star anise (see Tip)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 pounds total), skin removed, trimmed
- 6 ounces wide rice noodles
- 6 cups chopped bok choy
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 fresh Thai chile or serrano, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Combine broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, star anise, cloves, ginger and cinnamon stick in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add chicken breasts, meat-side down. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours (or on Low for 8 hours).
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Remove spices and discard. Add noodles and bok choy to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the bone and shred with two forks. When the noodles are tender, stir in the shredded chicken. Serve bowls of soup with bean sprouts, basil, mint, cilantro, sliced chile and lime wedges on the side so everyone can add their own toppings.
Tips & Notes
- To prep ahead: Combine seasonings with broth; prep chicken; cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- Tip: Add star anise, named for its star-shaped pods, to Asian-inspired dishes to lend distinctive licorice-like flavor. Look for it with other bulk spices in natural-foods stores, in Asian markets or online at penzeys.com.
Per serving: 362 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 39 g protein; 3 g fiber; 645 mg sodium; 998 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (92% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Iron (30% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Folate (21% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Slow cooker/Crockpot
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)