Slow-Cooker Black Bean-Mushroom Chili
Black beans, earthy mushrooms and tangy tomatillos combine with a variety of spices and smoky chipotles to create a fantastic full-flavored chili. It can simmer in the slow cooker all day, which makes it perfect for a healthy supper when the end of your day is rushed.
- 1 pound dried black beans, (2 1/2 cups), rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds, or ground cardamom
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces tomatillos, (see Ingredient Note), husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 1/2 cups mushroom broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Soak beans overnight in 2 quarts water. (Alternatively, place beans and 2 quarts water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain the beans, discarding soaking liquid.
- Combine oil, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin and cardamom in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Place over high heat and stir until the spices sizzle, about 30 seconds. Add onions, mushrooms, tomatillos and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are juicy, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and stir often until the juices evaporate and the vegetables are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste and chipotles; mix well.
- Place the beans in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the hot vegetable mixture over the beans. Turn heat to high. Put the lid on and cook until the beans are creamy, 5 to 8 hours.
- Garnish each serving with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. Stovetop Variation: Total: 4 1/2 hours In Step 2, increase broth to 81/2 cups. Omit Step 3. Add the beans to the Dutch oven; cover and simmer the chili gently over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the beans are creamy to bite, about 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. | Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
- Ingredient notes: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. Ground chipotle chile pepper can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets. Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they'll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
- Tomatillos are tart, plum-size green fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove the outer husk and rinse them well before using.
Per serving: 306 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 13 g fiber; 415 mg sodium; 735 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (52% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Iron (22% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient