Slimmed-Down Scalloped Potatoes
Sliced potatoes are simmered until tender in skim milk, then topped with reduced-fat sour cream and run under the broiler until golden. The results are sensational.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 3 medium), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub vigorously over the inside of a shallow 2-quart baking or gratin dish. Coat the dish with cooking spray. Mince the remaining 2 cloves garlic.
- Combine the minced garlic, potatoes, milk, onion, salt, nutmeg and pepper in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared dish with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to a small bowl. Whisk in sour cream. Pour over the potatoes. Top with Parmesan.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and broil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 188 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation