Slimmed-Down Scalloped Potatoes
Sliced potatoes are simmered until tender in skim milk, then topped with reduced-fat sour cream and run under the broiler until golden. The results are sensational.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 3 medium), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub vigorously over the inside of a shallow 2-quart baking or gratin dish. Coat the dish with cooking spray. Mince the remaining 2 cloves garlic.
- Combine the minced garlic, potatoes, milk, onion, salt, nutmeg and pepper in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared dish with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to a small bowl. Whisk in sour cream. Pour over the potatoes. Top with Parmesan.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and broil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 188 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique