Slimmed-Down Scalloped Potatoes
Sliced potatoes are simmered until tender in skim milk, then topped with reduced-fat sour cream and run under the broiler until golden. The results are sensational.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 3 medium), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub vigorously over the inside of a shallow 2-quart baking or gratin dish. Coat the dish with cooking spray. Mince the remaining 2 cloves garlic.
- Combine the minced garlic, potatoes, milk, onion, salt, nutmeg and pepper in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared dish with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to a small bowl. Whisk in sour cream. Pour over the potatoes. Top with Parmesan.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and broil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 188 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique