Slimmed-Down Scalloped Potatoes
Sliced potatoes are simmered until tender in skim milk, then topped with reduced-fat sour cream and run under the broiler until golden. The results are sensational.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 3 medium), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub vigorously over the inside of a shallow 2-quart baking or gratin dish. Coat the dish with cooking spray. Mince the remaining 2 cloves garlic.
- Combine the minced garlic, potatoes, milk, onion, salt, nutmeg and pepper in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared dish with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to a small bowl. Whisk in sour cream. Pour over the potatoes. Top with Parmesan.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and broil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 188 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less