Slimmed-Down Scalloped Potatoes
Sliced potatoes are simmered until tender in skim milk, then topped with reduced-fat sour cream and run under the broiler until golden. The results are sensational.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 3 medium), peeled and sliced
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub vigorously over the inside of a shallow 2-quart baking or gratin dish. Coat the dish with cooking spray. Mince the remaining 2 cloves garlic.
- Combine the minced garlic, potatoes, milk, onion, salt, nutmeg and pepper in a medium heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared dish with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the milk mixture to a small bowl. Whisk in sour cream. Pour over the potatoes. Top with Parmesan.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon the sour cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and broil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 188 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 753 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Calcium (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation