Sliced Fennel Salad
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Serve this crisp salad as an antipasto before an Italian meal.
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Trim base from fennel bulb. Remove and discard the fennel stalks; reserve some of the feathery leaves for garnish. Pull off and discard any discolored parts from the bulb. Stand the bulb upright and cut vertically into very thin slices. Arrange the slices on 4 salad plates.
- Whisk oil, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl. Drizzle the mixture over the fennel and garnish with a grinding of pepper and a few fennel leaves.
Per serving: 51 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 103 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Exchanges: vegetable, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)