From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This scrumptious nonalcoholic punch adds pear, cranberries and vanilla to the traditional hot cider.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 pears, chopped into bite-size pieces, divided
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine water, sugar, ginger and 1 pear in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids and return the mixture to the pan.
- Add the remaining pears, cider, lemon and allspice and heat over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Add cranberries and vanilla and reduce the heat to medium-low (the liquid should be simmering, not boiling). Let simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve in heat-safe mugs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
169 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- November/December 2009