From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This scrumptious nonalcoholic punch adds pear, cranberries and vanilla to the traditional hot cider.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 pears, chopped into bite-size pieces, divided
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine water, sugar, ginger and 1 pear in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids and return the mixture to the pan.
- Add the remaining pears, cider, lemon and allspice and heat over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Add cranberries and vanilla and reduce the heat to medium-low (the liquid should be simmering, not boiling). Let simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve in heat-safe mugs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Reheat on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave on Medium.
169 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2009