From EatingWell: May/June 2012
This delicious guacamole recipe replaces half the amount of high-calorie avocado in a traditional guacamole recipe with a stealth, low-calorie vegetable—zucchini—to cut 100 calories and 6 grams of fat so we can eat more guacamole with fewer calories. We use the microwave to cook the zucchini until it’s very tender, but you can steam it on the stovetop if you prefer.
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large ripe avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place zucchini in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on High until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing lightly on the zucchini to extract any liquid.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl; add avocado, cilantro, onion, garlic, lime juice, hot sauce and salt and coarsely mash until combined.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 96 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- May/June 2012