Skillet-Seared Tomatoes with Melted Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
Serve these as a savory side dish to chicken or steak, to complement a meatless meal or as a sandwich on toasted whole-grain bread. A pinch of sugar helps balance the tomatoes' acidity.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large ripe but firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere, Comte, fontina or mozzarella cheese
- Heat a 12-inch heavy stainless-steel or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil. Arrange tomatoes cut-side down in the pan and cook, uncovered, until just tender and the undersides are darkened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully turn each tomato cut-side up. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle each tomato with sugar (if using), salt and pepper, followed by equal portions of the parsley mixture and shredded cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Per serving: 178 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2005