Skillet-Seared Tomatoes with Melted Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
Serve these as a savory side dish to chicken or steak, to complement a meatless meal or as a sandwich on toasted whole-grain bread. A pinch of sugar helps balance the tomatoes' acidity.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large ripe but firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere, Comte, fontina or mozzarella cheese
- Heat a 12-inch heavy stainless-steel or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil. Arrange tomatoes cut-side down in the pan and cook, uncovered, until just tender and the undersides are darkened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully turn each tomato cut-side up. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle each tomato with sugar (if using), salt and pepper, followed by equal portions of the parsley mixture and shredded cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Per serving: 178 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- August/September 2005