Skillet-Seared Tomatoes with Melted Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
Serve these as a savory side dish to chicken or steak, to complement a meatless meal or as a sandwich on toasted whole-grain bread. A pinch of sugar helps balance the tomatoes' acidity.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large ripe but firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere, Comte, fontina or mozzarella cheese
- Heat a 12-inch heavy stainless-steel or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil. Arrange tomatoes cut-side down in the pan and cook, uncovered, until just tender and the undersides are darkened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully turn each tomato cut-side up. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle each tomato with sugar (if using), salt and pepper, followed by equal portions of the parsley mixture and shredded cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Per serving: 178 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2005