Skillet-Seared Tomatoes with Melted Gruyere
From EatingWell: August/September 2005
Serve these as a savory side dish to chicken or steak, to complement a meatless meal or as a sandwich on toasted whole-grain bread. A pinch of sugar helps balance the tomatoes' acidity.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large ripe but firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere, Comte, fontina or mozzarella cheese
- Heat a 12-inch heavy stainless-steel or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil. Arrange tomatoes cut-side down in the pan and cook, uncovered, until just tender and the undersides are darkened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully turn each tomato cut-side up. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle each tomato with sugar (if using), salt and pepper, followed by equal portions of the parsley mixture and shredded cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Per serving: 178 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 317 mg sodium; 344 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- August/September 2005