Skillet Rice with Shrimp
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This one-skillet supper is ready to serve in just 40 minutes--perfect for hurried weeknights.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 14-ounce can tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound large frozen peeled cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Hot sauce, (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the onions are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juices, broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and salt. Once the mixture begins to bubble and simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in shrimp, peas and parsley. Cover and cook until the shrimp are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving. Pass your favorite hot sauce alongside.
Per serving: 429 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 670 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Selenium (79% dv), Folate (46% dv), Iron (41% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996