Skillet Rice with Shrimp
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This one-skillet supper is ready to serve in just 40 minutes--perfect for hurried weeknights.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 14-ounce can tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound large frozen peeled cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Hot sauce, (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the onions are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juices, broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and salt. Once the mixture begins to bubble and simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in shrimp, peas and parsley. Cover and cook until the shrimp are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving. Pass your favorite hot sauce alongside.
Per serving: 429 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 670 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Selenium (79% dv), Folate (46% dv), Iron (41% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996