Skillet Rice with Shrimp
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
This one-skillet supper is ready to serve in just 40 minutes--perfect for hurried weeknights.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 14-ounce can tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound large frozen peeled cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Hot sauce, (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the onions are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juices, broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and salt. Once the mixture begins to bubble and simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in shrimp, peas and parsley. Cover and cook until the shrimp are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving. Pass your favorite hot sauce alongside.
Per serving: 429 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 734 mg sodium; 670 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Selenium (79% dv), Folate (46% dv), Iron (41% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996