From EatingWell: September/October 2011
In Greece, moussaka is made with beef or lamb, layers of sliced eggplant and a creamy béchamel sauce all baked together in the oven. This variation takes plenty of liberties to make it easy, quick and healthful. Serve over whole-wheat pasta or with potatoes.
- 1 small eggplant (see Tips), 8 to 10 ounces
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground beef, lamb (see Tips) or bison
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup low-fat or nonfat plain Greek yogurt, plus more for serving
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
- If your eggplant is skinny, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; if it’s fatter, first cut it in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into slices. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush eggplant slices on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add meat, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and garlic from the pan, draining well, and transfer to a medium bowl. Add tomato puree (or crushed tomatoes), water and 1/3 cup yogurt to the meat mixture; stir to combine.
- Pour off any liquid in the pan and wipe the pan clean. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion, the remaining garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and the eggplant; cook, stirring, until the eggplant is softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the meat mixture. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and eggplant are soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle cheese and mint (or parsley) on top and stir to combine. Serve topped with extra yogurt, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: If you’re using large, common globe eggplant, which can be more bitter than other varieties, salting beforehand can reduce bitterness. To salt: Place prepped eggplant in a large colander over a bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon salt. Top the eggplant with a plate weighted down with cans. Let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour before using. Rinse well with cold water, then dry with paper towels.
- It’s not always easy to find lean lamb, but it’s easy to grind your own in a food processor. Choose a lean cut, such as leg or loin, trim any excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Pulse in a food processor until uniformly ground, being careful not to overprocess. Or ask your butcher to grind a lean cut for you.
Per serving: 461 calories; 28 g fat (8 g sat, 15 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 5 g fiber; 822 mg sodium; 843 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (50% daily value), Iron (32% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2011