Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans
From EatingWell: January/February 2009
In this one-skillet supper, we toss dark leafy greens, diced tomatoes and white beans with gnocchi and top it all with gooey mozzarella. Serve with a mixed green salad with vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi, (see Tip)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta in the Italian section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 325 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 616 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Calcium & Iron (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2009