Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp & Asparagus
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
The gnocchi cooks right in the skillet, along with shrimp, shallots, asparagus and Parmesan cheese, in this gnocchi recipe. Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta. Serve with baby arugula salad with vinaigrette and a glass of pinot grigio.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into thirds
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound raw shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails left on if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and golden in spots, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shallots to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus and broth. Cover and cook until the asparagus is barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp, pepper and salt; cover and simmer until the shrimp is pink and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Return the gnocchi to the skillet along with lemon juice and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 464 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 149 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2012