Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp & Asparagus
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
The gnocchi cooks right in the skillet, along with shrimp, shallots, asparagus and Parmesan cheese, in this gnocchi recipe. Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta. Serve with baby arugula salad with vinaigrette and a glass of pinot grigio.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into thirds
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound raw shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails left on if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and golden in spots, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shallots to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus and broth. Cover and cook until the asparagus is barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp, pepper and salt; cover and simmer until the shrimp is pink and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Return the gnocchi to the skillet along with lemon juice and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 464 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 149 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012