Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp & Asparagus
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
The gnocchi cooks right in the skillet, along with shrimp, shallots, asparagus and Parmesan cheese, in this gnocchi recipe. Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta. Serve with baby arugula salad with vinaigrette and a glass of pinot grigio.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into thirds
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound raw shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails left on if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and golden in spots, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shallots to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus and broth. Cover and cook until the asparagus is barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp, pepper and salt; cover and simmer until the shrimp is pink and just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Return the gnocchi to the skillet along with lemon juice and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 464 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 149 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 511 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (29% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Vitamin A (22% dv), Iron (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012