Skillet Cauliflower Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Nonfat milk and a bit of sharp Cheddar combine to make a rich sauce without all the butter usually found in gratins.
- 4 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 185 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 2008