Skillet Cauliflower Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Nonfat milk and a bit of sharp Cheddar combine to make a rich sauce without all the butter usually found in gratins.
- 4 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 185 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- January/February 2008