Skillet Cauliflower Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Nonfat milk and a bit of sharp Cheddar combine to make a rich sauce without all the butter usually found in gratins.
- 4 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 185 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 2008