Skillet Cauliflower Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
Nonfat milk and a bit of sharp Cheddar combine to make a rich sauce without all the butter usually found in gratins.
- 4 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets (about 1/2 large head)
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring cauliflower, 1 1/4 cups milk and salt to a boil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cheese and oil in a small bowl. Whisk flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in another small bowl until smooth; stir the mixture into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, chives, mustard and pepper. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the top is crispy and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 185 calories; 8 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 2008