Skillet-Braised Chicken Thighs with Chickpeas
This full-bodied dish hails from the Catalán region of Spain. The chicken thighs stay moist and juicy when reheated, so it is a good candidate for making ahead.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs, (3 1/2-4 pounds), skinned and trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 small dried red chiles, crumbled
- 2 onions, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge chicken thighs, shaking off excess flour. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron over high heat. Add the chicken, partially cover the pan and cook until the chicken is nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add chiles and cook until they turn dark, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard. Add onions and garlic to the pan; cook until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add paprika and marjoram and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green peppers and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Return the chicken to the pan, along with 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes
- Add chickpeas and the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth; simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Blot any fat that rises to the surface with paper towels. Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop, in the oven (350Â°F, covered, for 25-30 minutes) or in the microwave.
Per serving: 356 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 100 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 4 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (61% daily value), Selenium (27% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Iron (18% dv), Vitamin A (14% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour