Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Sizzling green beans in a little oil helps to bring out their natural sweetness. Prosciutto, pine nuts and lemon zest dress up the flavor without adding a lot of fat - a nice alternative to full-fat, creamy green bean casseroles.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into ribbons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil, and simmer until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook, stirring, until crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe out the pan; heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the beans, garlic, sage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pine nuts, lemon zest and the prosciutto. Season with lemon juice, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2006