Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Sizzling green beans in a little oil helps to bring out their natural sweetness. Prosciutto, pine nuts and lemon zest dress up the flavor without adding a lot of fat - a nice alternative to full-fat, creamy green bean casseroles.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into ribbons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil, and simmer until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook, stirring, until crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe out the pan; heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the beans, garlic, sage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pine nuts, lemon zest and the prosciutto. Season with lemon juice, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2006