Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto & Pine Nuts
From EatingWell: October/November 2006
Sizzling green beans in a little oil helps to bring out their natural sweetness. Prosciutto, pine nuts and lemon zest dress up the flavor without adding a lot of fat - a nice alternative to full-fat, creamy green bean casseroles.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into ribbons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil, and simmer until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook, stirring, until crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe out the pan; heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the beans, garlic, sage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are browned in places, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in pine nuts, lemon zest and the prosciutto. Season with lemon juice, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 99 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 196 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- October/November 2006