Sirloin & Portobello Stew
From EatingWell: December 2006
Meaty mushrooms and tender sirloin are a perfect pair in this richly flavored stew. Make it a meal: We like to make this with a hearty zinfandel and enjoy a glass with the meal. Look for a crusty jalapeno cheddar bread to dip into the rich broth.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 6 medium), gills removed if desired
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place steak in a medium bowl and sprinkle with flour; turn to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the steak (reserving excess flour) and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on most sides and still pink in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, onions and tomatoes to the pan and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the vegetables have released their juices, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add green beans, broth, wine, thyme, salt and pepper; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the broth has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 334 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 903 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- December 2006