Sirloin & Portobello Stew
From EatingWell: December 2006
Meaty mushrooms and tender sirloin are a perfect pair in this richly flavored stew. Make it a meal: We like to make this with a hearty zinfandel and enjoy a glass with the meal. Look for a crusty jalapeno cheddar bread to dip into the rich broth.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 6 medium), gills removed if desired
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place steak in a medium bowl and sprinkle with flour; turn to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the steak (reserving excess flour) and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on most sides and still pink in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, onions and tomatoes to the pan and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the vegetables have released their juices, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add green beans, broth, wine, thyme, salt and pepper; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the broth has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 334 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 903 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- December 2006