Sirloin & Portobello Stew
From EatingWell: December 2006
Meaty mushrooms and tender sirloin are a perfect pair in this richly flavored stew. Make it a meal: We like to make this with a hearty zinfandel and enjoy a glass with the meal. Look for a crusty jalapeno cheddar bread to dip into the rich broth.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 6 medium), gills removed if desired
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place steak in a medium bowl and sprinkle with flour; turn to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the steak (reserving excess flour) and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on most sides and still pink in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, onions and tomatoes to the pan and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the vegetables have released their juices, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add green beans, broth, wine, thyme, salt and pepper; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the broth has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 334 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 903 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- December 2006