Sirloin & Portobello Stew
From EatingWell: December 2006
Meaty mushrooms and tender sirloin are a perfect pair in this richly flavored stew. Make it a meal: We like to make this with a hearty zinfandel and enjoy a glass with the meal. Look for a crusty jalapeno cheddar bread to dip into the rich broth.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 6 medium), gills removed if desired
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place steak in a medium bowl and sprinkle with flour; turn to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the steak (reserving excess flour) and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on most sides and still pink in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms, onions and tomatoes to the pan and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the vegetables have released their juices, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add green beans, broth, wine, thyme, salt and pepper; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the broth has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 334 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 903 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- December 2006