Singapore Chile Crab with Spinach
From EatingWell: December 2006
Restaurants all over Singapore have chile crab on their menus—it's one of the national dishes. Usually made with whole crabs swimming in a spicy chile sauce, this streamlined version is much simpler—and less messy to eat. Although a little more expensive, this dish looks the most beautiful and tastes the best when made with "colossal" lump crabmeat. Make it a meal: Serve over instant brown rice. Cool off with mango sorbet for dessert.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced red chile, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- Whisk water, ketchup, soy sauce, tomato paste and cornstarch in a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 1 minute. Add garlic, chile and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and stir until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the sauce and crab; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 187 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 785 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (22% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006