Super-Simple Vegetable Broth
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This very easy broth is just right as a base for many vegetarian soups. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and thoroughly washed
- 4 small potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley (about 1 large bunch)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- Chop carrots, onions, celery and leeks into 1- to 2-inch chunks; leave the potatoes whole. Combine the vegetables with the remaining ingredients in a soup pot or stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth through a colander, then once more through a fine sieve. If the broth tastes weak, pour it back into the pot and simmer until reduced to a flavor you prefer, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (397 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2011