Super-Simple Vegetable Broth
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This very easy broth is just right as a base for many vegetarian soups. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and thoroughly washed
- 4 small potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley (about 1 large bunch)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- Chop carrots, onions, celery and leeks into 1- to 2-inch chunks; leave the potatoes whole. Combine the vegetables with the remaining ingredients in a soup pot or stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth through a colander, then once more through a fine sieve. If the broth tastes weak, pour it back into the pot and simmer until reduced to a flavor you prefer, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (397 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011