Super-Simple Vegetable Broth
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This very easy broth is just right as a base for many vegetarian soups. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and thoroughly washed
- 4 small potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley (about 1 large bunch)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- Chop carrots, onions, celery and leeks into 1- to 2-inch chunks; leave the potatoes whole. Combine the vegetables with the remaining ingredients in a soup pot or stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth through a colander, then once more through a fine sieve. If the broth tastes weak, pour it back into the pot and simmer until reduced to a flavor you prefer, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (397 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2011