Super-Simple Vegetable Broth
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This very easy broth is just right as a base for many vegetarian soups. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and thoroughly washed
- 4 small potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley (about 1 large bunch)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- Chop carrots, onions, celery and leeks into 1- to 2-inch chunks; leave the potatoes whole. Combine the vegetables with the remaining ingredients in a soup pot or stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth through a colander, then once more through a fine sieve. If the broth tastes weak, pour it back into the pot and simmer until reduced to a flavor you prefer, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (397 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2011
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)