Super-Simple Vegetable Broth
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This very easy broth is just right as a base for many vegetarian soups. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and thoroughly washed
- 4 small potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley (about 1 large bunch)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water
- Chop carrots, onions, celery and leeks into 1- to 2-inch chunks; leave the potatoes whole. Combine the vegetables with the remaining ingredients in a soup pot or stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth through a colander, then once more through a fine sieve. If the broth tastes weak, pour it back into the pot and simmer until reduced to a flavor you prefer, 20 to 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (397 mg per cup).
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011