Simple Noodle Kugel
Several readers challenged our test kitchen to come up with a tasty, but healthful, revival of a Jewish dish that usually flaunts a pint of sour cream, a pint of cottage cheese, half a stick of butter, 4 eggs and a cup of milk. We took the challenge--lightly.
- 10 ounces wide egg noodles, (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender but firm, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over low heat. Skim off froth and cook until it begins to turn light, nutty brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn the butter.) Pour into a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and cornstarch in a large bowl. Mix in cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, sugar, raisins, vanilla, salt and the browned butter. Stir in the cooked noodles and turn into the prepared baking dish. Stir together cornflakes, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until browned and set, about 1 hour. (If topping starts to burn, cover with aluminum foil.) Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold.
Per serving: 310 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation