Simple Noodle Kugel
Several readers challenged our test kitchen to come up with a tasty, but healthful, revival of a Jewish dish that usually flaunts a pint of sour cream, a pint of cottage cheese, half a stick of butter, 4 eggs and a cup of milk. We took the challenge--lightly.
- 10 ounces wide egg noodles, (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender but firm, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over low heat. Skim off froth and cook until it begins to turn light, nutty brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn the butter.) Pour into a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and cornstarch in a large bowl. Mix in cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, sugar, raisins, vanilla, salt and the browned butter. Stir in the cooked noodles and turn into the prepared baking dish. Stir together cornflakes, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until browned and set, about 1 hour. (If topping starts to burn, cover with aluminum foil.) Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold.
Per serving: 310 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more