Simple Noodle Kugel
Several readers challenged our test kitchen to come up with a tasty, but healthful, revival of a Jewish dish that usually flaunts a pint of sour cream, a pint of cottage cheese, half a stick of butter, 4 eggs and a cup of milk. We took the challenge--lightly.
- 10 ounces wide egg noodles, (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender but firm, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over low heat. Skim off froth and cook until it begins to turn light, nutty brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn the butter.) Pour into a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and cornstarch in a large bowl. Mix in cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, sugar, raisins, vanilla, salt and the browned butter. Stir in the cooked noodles and turn into the prepared baking dish. Stir together cornflakes, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until browned and set, about 1 hour. (If topping starts to burn, cover with aluminum foil.) Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold.
Per serving: 310 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)