Simple Noodle Kugel
Several readers challenged our test kitchen to come up with a tasty, but healthful, revival of a Jewish dish that usually flaunts a pint of sour cream, a pint of cottage cheese, half a stick of butter, 4 eggs and a cup of milk. We took the challenge--lightly.
- 10 ounces wide egg noodles, (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender but firm, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over low heat. Skim off froth and cook until it begins to turn light, nutty brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn the butter.) Pour into a small bowl and let cool.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites and cornstarch in a large bowl. Mix in cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, sugar, raisins, vanilla, salt and the browned butter. Stir in the cooked noodles and turn into the prepared baking dish. Stir together cornflakes, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the noodle mixture.
- Bake until browned and set, about 1 hour. (If topping starts to burn, cover with aluminum foil.) Let cool for at least 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold.
Per serving: 310 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 1 g fiber; 483 mg sodium; 128 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique