From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These delicate almond cookies are said to be as light as a sigh.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or brush them with oil and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until light golden and firm to the touch, about 1 1/2 hours. Reverse pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per cookie: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993