From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These delicate almond cookies are said to be as light as a sigh.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or brush them with oil and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until light golden and firm to the touch, about 1 1/2 hours. Reverse pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per cookie: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1993