From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These delicate almond cookies are said to be as light as a sigh.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or brush them with oil and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until light golden and firm to the touch, about 1 1/2 hours. Reverse pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per cookie: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1993