From EatingWell: January/February 1993
These delicate almond cookies are said to be as light as a sigh.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or brush them with oil and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until light golden and firm to the touch, about 1 1/2 hours. Reverse pans halfway through to ensure even baking. Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: To toast slivered almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per cookie: 59 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993