Capers and garlic add real Sicilian flavor to sauteed broccoli.
- 1 bunch broccoli, (1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut off and separate broccoli florets. Trim the tough ends of the stalks; peel the stalks if desired and cut crosswise into 3/8-inch-thick slices.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add capers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets and stalks and water; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until any remaining water evaporates, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 156 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (221% dv), Vitamin A (85% daily value), Folate (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)