Sicilian Olive Chicken
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This saucy one-skillet chicken dish is full of tomatoes, spinach, olives and capers. Try Kalamata olives in place of the green Sicilians or a combination of both. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles with a mixed green salad on the side.
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil or other Italian-style seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/3 cup halved Sicilian or other green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 4 4-ounce chicken cutlets (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomatoes, spinach, olives, capers and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn it over; top with the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you can’t find chicken cutlets for this recipe, you can make your own. Purchase four 5-ounce chicken breasts. Remove the tenders and trim the fat. Place the chicken between pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to about 1/2 inch thick.
Per serving: 210 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 527 mg sodium; 401 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (151% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable,3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2011