Sicilian Marinated Olives
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this easy appetizer recipe, olives are marinated (cunzate) to present as an antipasto. Try this with the plain green olives you buy from a supermarket olive bar. It will bring them to life in a whole new way
- 1 1/2 cups unpitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh red or green chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Sicilian or Greek
- Rinse olives in a colander, tossing gently under running water, then dry on a kitchen towel. Transfer to a bowl, add oil and gently toss to coat.
- Add celery, garlic, chile, 2 tablespoons parsley and vinegar; toss again. Let the olives stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and oregano, crumbling the oregano with your fingers to bring out the flavor.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before finishing with Step 3.
Per serving: 108 calories; 11 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014