Sicilian Marinated Olives
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this easy appetizer recipe, olives are marinated (cunzate) to present as an antipasto. Try this with the plain green olives you buy from a supermarket olive bar. It will bring them to life in a whole new way
- 1 1/2 cups unpitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh red or green chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Sicilian or Greek
- Rinse olives in a colander, tossing gently under running water, then dry on a kitchen towel. Transfer to a bowl, add oil and gently toss to coat.
- Add celery, garlic, chile, 2 tablespoons parsley and vinegar; toss again. Let the olives stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and oregano, crumbling the oregano with your fingers to bring out the flavor.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before finishing with Step 3.
Per serving: 108 calories; 11 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- New Year's Eve
- September/October 2014