Sicilian Marinated Olives
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this easy appetizer recipe, olives are marinated (cunzate) to present as an antipasto. Try this with the plain green olives you buy from a supermarket olive bar. It will bring them to life in a whole new way
- 1 1/2 cups unpitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh red or green chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Sicilian or Greek
- Rinse olives in a colander, tossing gently under running water, then dry on a kitchen towel. Transfer to a bowl, add oil and gently toss to coat.
- Add celery, garlic, chile, 2 tablespoons parsley and vinegar; toss again. Let the olives stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and oregano, crumbling the oregano with your fingers to bring out the flavor.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before finishing with Step 3.
Per serving: 108 calories; 11 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 260 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- New Year's Eve
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014