From EatingWell: August/September 2006
This is a traditional Sicilian dessert for the hot weather. It starts with an icy espresso granita (“little grains” in Italian). The crystals are scraped up with a fork and served with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 3 cups freshly brewed espresso, (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Stir hot espresso and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool to room temperature, then pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Place on a level surface in your freezer and freeze for 2 hours, stirring and scraping with a fork every 20 minutes to break up the ice crystals. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour more.
- Beat cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until medium peaks form, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Scrape the frozen granita into ice crystals using a sturdy fork. To serve, layer the granita with whipped cream in goblets or simply top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: If you don't have an espresso maker, use instant espresso powder and water; store the powder in your freezer after opening. Instant coffee will also work in a pinch, it just won't be as full-flavored.
Per serving: 123 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- August/September 2006