From EatingWell: August/September 2006
This is a traditional Sicilian dessert for the hot weather. It starts with an icy espresso granita (“little grains” in Italian). The crystals are scraped up with a fork and served with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 3 cups freshly brewed espresso, (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Stir hot espresso and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture cool to room temperature, then pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Place on a level surface in your freezer and freeze for 2 hours, stirring and scraping with a fork every 20 minutes to break up the ice crystals. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour more.
- Beat cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until medium peaks form, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Scrape the frozen granita into ice crystals using a sturdy fork. To serve, layer the granita with whipped cream in goblets or simply top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a sealable plastic container for up to 1 week.
- Tip: If you don't have an espresso maker, use instant espresso powder and water; store the powder in your freezer after opening. Instant coffee will also work in a pinch, it just won't be as full-flavored.
Per serving: 123 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 104 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- August/September 2006