Sichuan Carrot Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Distinctive flavors from the cuisine of Sichuan province in China—peanut, sesame, hot red pepper, ginger and garlic—play against a backdrop of sweet carrots in this beautiful burnished-orange soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, (5-6 medium), chopped
- 1 3/4-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions, for garnish
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, carrots, ginger and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the carrots are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer set over a large bowl. Transfer the solids to a food processor or blender and add lime juice, soy sauce, peanut butter, sugar and sesame oil; puree, adding some of the cooking liquid as needed for a smooth consistency. Transfer the puree to the bowl of cooking liquid and stir in milk. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 112 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (230% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1993