Sichuan Carrot Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Distinctive flavors from the cuisine of Sichuan province in China—peanut, sesame, hot red pepper, ginger and garlic—play against a backdrop of sweet carrots in this beautiful burnished-orange soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, (5-6 medium), chopped
- 1 3/4-inch piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions, for garnish
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, carrots, ginger and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the carrots are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer set over a large bowl. Transfer the solids to a food processor or blender and add lime juice, soy sauce, peanut butter, sugar and sesame oil; puree, adding some of the cooking liquid as needed for a smooth consistency. Transfer the puree to the bowl of cooking liquid and stir in milk. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with scallions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 112 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (230% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1993