Shrimp with Mango & Basil
This one-pan stir-fry is an Indian feast of sweet shrimp, perfumy mangoes and spicy basil. It's guaranteed to evoke dinnertime oohs and ahhs. Carbs are a time-tested way to take the pop out of the heat, so make sure you have plenty of aromatic jasmine rice to go with this fiery dish. Use prepeeled shrimp to make preparation a breeze.
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large ripe, firm mango, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see Tip)
- 1 bunch scallions, green tops only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Toss shrimp with salt, cayenne to taste and turmeric in a medium bowl. Cover; refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; place the shrimp in a single layer and cook until the undersides turn salmon-pink, about 1 minute. Flip them over and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add mango, scallion greens and basil and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is just cooked and starts to barely curl, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to cut a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice
- the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 183 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 168 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 352 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual