Shrimp Salad-Stuffed Tomatoes
Hollowed-out tomatoes were the secret to elegant lunches in the '50s - and they deserve a comeback today. Look for bright red, aromatic tomatoes without any mushy spots or discolorations. You can also stuff these tomatoes with Bacony Barley Salad with Marinated Shrimp or Curried Tofu Salad.
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 10 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored
- Combine shrimp, celery, basil, olives, shallot, mayonnaise, vinegar and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Carefully hollow out the inside of each tomato using a melon baller or small spoon; reserve the scooped tomato for another use (see Tip). To serve, fill each tomato with a generous 1/2 cup of the shrimp salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the salad (Step 1). Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Save the scooped-out tomato insides to use in fresh tomato soup or pasta sauce. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 192 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 230 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation