Shrimp Salad-Stuffed Tomatoes
Hollowed-out tomatoes were the secret to elegant lunches in the '50s - and they deserve a comeback today. Look for bright red, aromatic tomatoes without any mushy spots or discolorations. You can also stuff these tomatoes with Bacony Barley Salad with Marinated Shrimp or Curried Tofu Salad.
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 10 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored
- Combine shrimp, celery, basil, olives, shallot, mayonnaise, vinegar and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Carefully hollow out the inside of each tomato using a melon baller or small spoon; reserve the scooped tomato for another use (see Tip). To serve, fill each tomato with a generous 1/2 cup of the shrimp salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the salad (Step 1). Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Save the scooped-out tomato insides to use in fresh tomato soup or pasta sauce. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 192 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 230 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 774 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood